Starting PulseAudio using SystemD

'Twas brillig, and Jan Steffens at 01/08/11 18:57 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Could you be more specific? Are you planning to run Pulseaudio in the
>> system-wide mode or in the per-user mode? In per-user mode I don't think
>> there's anything special in systemd - per-user daemons are not handled
>> by the init program, be it SysV init or systemd or anything else.
>
> AFAIK systemd can act as a user session handler (like, e.g.,
> gnome-session) and supervise a user's services. However, this
> functionality is not yet used. I don't think you will find anyone who
> has already tried to launch PulseAudio this way.

Yeah I've not yet looked into this. There are also other things to
incorporate here like the XDG_SESSION_DIR stuff which could eventually
replace our built in support to prevent DoSing from other users etc.
(i.e. all the complex symlinking etc.). The XDG_SESSION_DIR was
specifically pushed by Lennart who obviously knows all the problems PA
faced, so it seems like a good idea.

That said, I'm reluctant to push this as it will currently break NFS
based non-systemd boots.... which isn't really ideal... It can be worked
around however.

That said, I suspect the OP was talking about system-wide mode anyway :p

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie