pavucontrol not seeing network sound devices

'Twas brillig, and Christoph Groth at 25/09/10 13:59 did gyre and gimble:
> Dear pulseaudio experts,
>
> I installed pulseaudio on two machines which are on the same LAN.  On
> one of the machines, which is supposed to be the server, I used paprefs
> to enable it as network server (I enabled the top three options in the
> "network server" tab).  On the other machine, the client, I used paprefs
> to make network devices available locally.
>
> Now, on the client, pabrowse lists some remote audio devices.  With
> padevchooser I can select them and play sound over the network.
>
> However, I understand that padevchooser is obsolete and I should be able
> to choose the output device with pavucontrol.  But this does not work, I
> can only see the local device there (or, upon changing the default device
> with padevchooser, the remote one).
>
> So, how is this supposed to work?  I am grateful for any hints.

pabrowse is basically just a zeroconf client so the same results should
be seen by avahi-browse.

Ultimately it's module-zeroconf-discover that will "find" these remote
devices and then load module-tunnel-sink to make them available locally.

paprefs basically just makes sure module-zeroconf-discover is loaded.

I guess the debug output from pulseaudio when module-zeroconf-discover
is added will likely tell you what is up.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie