Choose remote default sink fromcommandline?

'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 09/11/10 16:50 did gyre and gimble:

>>> This is the only form you need. I presume you logged out and back in
>>> again after setting this env var?
>>>
>>> Try this on the command line and post the results:
>>>
>>> export PULSE_SERVER=192.168.1.64
>>> export PULSE_LOG=99
>>> paplay -vvv /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
>>
>> jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ export PULSE_SERVER=192.168.64
>> jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ export PULSE_LOG=99
>> jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$ paplay /usr/share/sounds/purple/logout.wav
>> D: memblock.c: Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0
>> KiB each, total size is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65472
>> D: context.c: Trying to connect to 192.168.64...
>> Connection failure: Connection refused
>> jmrt at ubuntu-JMRT:~$
>> - No sound was played
>
> "192.168.64" is not a valid address... I guess it's interpreted as a DNS
> name. Resolving the name of course fails, but I would have expected some
> other error message than "connection refused"...
>
> Regarding the question of where to put the environment variable export
> so that it's set for the whole session and not just terminal - I don't
> think there's any standard place that will work everywhere. It's
> possible to configure the system to have some environment variables
> always set, but I don't know how it can be done specifically for your
> system (I have done it in the past on my own system, but I don't
> remember the specifics of that either).
>
> But if you want to set the server address
> globally, /etc/pulse/client.conf or ~/.pulse/client.conf is much better
> place for configuring that than setting environment variables in some
> obscure start-up script.

The reason i didn't suggest client.conf earlier is that x11 properties
take priority (IIRC) and thus running e.g. padevchooser etc. will
ultimately provide a "higher priority" option to use.

But I would ultimately agree that client.conf is a better place to put
the setting.. it's just important not to start a local PA or run
padevchooser.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie