lost all but front L/R channels

ok, I found it.  I had to go into alsamixer and change the default card
of Pulseaudio to SBLive and then change the volume on the Surround
control.   No idea why it was turned down to 13%.   This control is
completely hidden from PulseAudio...

Also, I had to kill the pulseaudio server and run pavucontrol to get my
hardware device back.