Conditional up/down mixing

On Mon, 28.12.09 14:49, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I could have sworn this was asked about on the ML recently but perhaps
> it was just IRC as I cannot for the life of me find the message :s
>
> Anyway, someone was asking about their 5.1 capable card and how they
> would prefer that stereo streams were not upmixed as their sound
> receiver does a better job of upmixing (e.g. Dolby ProLogic or similar
> gubbins).
>
> I was thinking about this today and I think this is a pretty common
> setup. I think I may actually have need to do that in my own setup now
> I've finally gotten around to configuring it up in a vaguely working way!
>
> So what I was thinking was some way to defining the mixing profile (via
> simple module argument) that simply lists (comma separated) the channel
> counts that are permitted for remixing.
>
> The remix = yes/no still works too but inverses the logic of the
> remix_profile argument.
>
> e.g. remix="yes" remix_profile="2" means it will *not* remix 2 channel
> sound to the sinks channel count.
>
> whereas remix="no" remix_profile="1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10"  means much the
> same thing, but only as far as 10 channels.

Isn't it a bit ugly if one config options completely reverses its
meaning depending on another one?

> Obviously remix_profile is fully optional and remix= works as currently
> if specified on it's own.
>
> I've not analised how the code works to see how much hassle this would
> be to implement, but if this sounds like a vaguely sensible idea, I'll
> look at cooking up a patch.

Hmm, IUC the use case for this is that mono?stereo upmixing should
always be done while stereo?5.1 and mono?5.1 upmixing should not be
attempted, right?  And that this means that if you play a mono stream
you need to upmix it to stereo on a 5.1 device right?

That use case complicates things considerably sincei its not just
about saying remixing yes/no, but about saying: if remixing from "A"
to "B" is requested actually do "A" to "C", with "A" != "B" and "B" !=
"C", if you follow.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net