Progress of 'dynamic default sink' or 'device preference list'?

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 01/12/10 07:48 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that 0.9.22 is finally out, I'm wondering what happened to what
> Colin mentioned some time back about 'device preferences'. As I
> understood at the time, assuming 3 possible sound devices (which may or
> may not be plugged in):-
> 1. New streams would be automatically sent to the highest priority
> device on starting
> 2. Streams which have been manually moved would stay where they've been
> moved to.
> 3. When another device which has a higher priority is plugged in, all
> streams (except for those in 2.) are moved to it.
>
> This scheme was mentioned in preference to a generic "move all sound to
> latest plugged-in-device" scheme, I believe.
>
> Are there any plans in this direction?

Not done much on it TBH. Was wanting to discuss things with Lennart
further as he never quite acked the approach (not the finer details
anyway) and there are still some caveats to the approach (like dealing
with apps that produce multiple streams where you want to control them
independently - although I think that can and should be mitigated in an
app specific way).

I may just crack on an do it over the winter seeing as it's getting
really cold now and worry about the finer details later.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie