pulse support not working properly in application on F12,

Hi,

I am adding (trying to add) pulse support to an application I author.
But no matter what I do, I can't get it to play correct sound.  Here is
the sordid history.

I first added pa_simple support as this seemed tailor made for what I
want to do - send buffers of data at regular intervals to a sound
device.  I used the sample from the web page and looked at
implementations from several other applications - Csound, sox,
helix-player.  It compiled cleanly, gave every indication it was
working, but the sound that came out sounded like a dying whale.  I
traced it in gdb to the point of writing the buffer as a chunk
someplace, and everything looked fine.

So I upgraded to using the standard model - I copied the
xmms-pulse plugin.c as a template and modified it until it compiled on
my system without issues.  Same problem, sound is horrible.  To
actually use callbacks would require a complete change in architecture
for the application, and I'm not going there.

I then put in modifications to tweak the buffer sizes on the server
from the defaults with the same result.  I check writable, and sleep
until there is enough space for a buffer of sound, write it and
generate the next buffer.