Start recording after threshold on mic reached

Hi

I'm new to pulseaudio, I'm trying to find out if its possible to write a
pulseaudio application which can trigger recording to start when a
certain volume threshold its reached on the microphone. I'm writing a
music note recognition program and I need to accurately know when a
sound started and ended.

Thanks
David