pavucontrol preventing sources from suspending

On Thu, 05.02.09 14:02, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The vumeter on the Input devices tab will show a nice vumeter even if
> nothing is recording....
>
> This means that if you have pavucontrol open and use a crappy
> application (like Skype) to record sound via the device directly (as is
> the only way with skype - playback is cool via pulse but recording sucks
> big time), then it cannot open the device because pavucontrol has hogged it.
>
> I think that pavucontrol should only display a vumeter for sources if a
> real app has the source open too.

That's actually easy to fix. .15 has learned the new flag
PA_STREAM_DONT_INHIBIT_AUTO_SUSPEND. If you set that on a stream then
the stream is ignored when the auto suspended decides whether a device
can be suspended or not.

It's just a matter of setting this flag for all streams pavucontrol
creates. Patches welcome.

Lennart