Monitor devices and unconnected sources.

I am working on an application where I listen to monitor interfaces. The
audio stream is intended to be merged with other AV streams later down
the processing pipeline using third party code, (open source but quite
complex to understand and modify). My problem is that the application
connecting to the pulse audio monitor might or might not send audio,
depending on user input, if it doesn't send audio it won't connect to
the pulse audio source, the application might also disconnect the audio
based on user input, before terminating itself. (Audio is handled by
plugins that might get loaded and unloaded based on user input)

My problem is that I really need to receive silence (zero filled audio )
instead of empty packages from the monitor interface when no sources is
connected. Is it possible to configure pulse audio to give me this?

The problem of implementing this myself in client code is to avoid
timing problems  when the client connects or disconnects at a later
stage. I need to do do non-blocking calls to the API and could easily
get into problems in differentiating between jitter and the situation
where no client are connected, but need to treat the two situations
differently. I might be able to handle part of it using
pa_stream_set_underflow_callback and pa_stream_set_started_callback but
I miss something like pa_stream_set_stopped_callback with a callback for
use on monitor interfaces when the last application connected to a sink
terminate the connection.

If this is done using suspend/resume for monitor interfaces this should
be mentioned in the programmer API.