Flash Plugin 10 Install Borks Audio

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 10:29 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Any tips for where to begin troubleshooting the problem I have? What
> > should I check to see where things are failing?
>
> Well I guess that 32-bit sound is working OK pulseaudio libs seeing as
> your flash9 + libflashsupport is working OK.
>
> Do you know 100% that 32-bit sound via *alsa* is working OK? e.g. do you
> have the necessary 32-bit alsa-lib + alsa-plugins installed for that?
>
> For me libflashsupport works happily with flash10 but if you've removed
> it then your flash will be trying to use alsa and without the above
> mentioned libraries, it will fail.
>
> If you reinstall libflashsupport, try looking in "lsof | grep
> flashsupport" to make sure that the library is indeed in use.
>
> Failing finding anything useful in that, try checking the output of
> pulseaudio -vvv (kill the old one!) and trying to see if flash even
> tries to connect to the PA daemon.

Thanks for the tips, Colin.

So I tried running pulseaudio -vvv from the command-line to see what was
going on in the PA side. I initially started without libflashsupport.

Surfing over to a youtube page with video and audio, I saw the usual
video and couldn't hear any audio. No activity on the PA front.

I then "yum install"ed libflashsupport, which resulted in the following
output from PA:

D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=InterfaceLockAcquired
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=PropertyModified
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device,
path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer, member=InterfaceLockReleased

All normal, I figured. (Side question, though: how does flash-plugin
make use of libflashsupport when it's just a library that sits
in /usr/lib64/? Is there some rpm post script that somehow links the
library to flash-plugin?)

After installation, I restarted mozilla and got:

I: client.c: Created 1 "EsounD client (UNIX socket client)"

At least mozilla seems to have connected fine. Then I surf back to the
youtube page, and again no audio and no activity on the PA log side.

I don't know what flash-plugin uses for audio so I'm not sure what's
missing and why the two aren't connecting. Any more suggestions?
--

Richi