Is this possible? - 4.1 with filtered bass

Hi all,

I believe I'm correct in saying Pulse doesn't support DD/DTS
passthrough (yet) so what I want my system to pass the decoded output
to my amps analogue inputs. I don't think this is a problem but I want
it setup in a way that mimicks my amps decoder and I'd like to know if
it's possible.

My amp is configured with 4 speakers (no centre) and each is set to
what the amp calls 'small' i.e all bass output below the crossover
frequency is passed to the sub ASWELL as the discrete LFE channel.
Centre information is mixed into FL & FR speakers.

Now I know a 4.1 setup is possible in Pulse with a config line like;

load-module module-alsa-sink device_id=0 channels=5
channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,lfe

The problem is, I'm assuming this is passing full range signals to the
main speakers and only the discrete LFE track to the sub, this also
suggest to me that playing audio tracks that don't have a discrete LFE
track (2ch music for example) would not output anything to the
subwoofer?

Any advice welcome, thanks

Dom