Trouble with module-cli-protocol-tcp

On Mon, 14.04.08 16:21, Jim Duda (jim at duda.tzo.com) wrote:

> I'm trying to set a sink-mute using module-cli-protocol-tcp.
>
> I'm getting "Failed to parse mute switch".  See below.
>
> Note that if I do the same thing using module-cli, from the shell used to launch pulseaudio, this command works fine.
>
> Also, how do I exit the tcp login?  exit always terminates the deamon.  The documentation suggests using ^D (control D).
> I tried using ^D.  In response to ^D, I get "unkown command".

Your version of telnet (you are using that as client, right?) seems to
use CRLF as line break. PA expects NL and will thus assume that CR is
part of the mute switch value and then fails to parse that.

Your version of telnet seems to pass ^D raw to the other side,
expecting that the other side does all the fancy TTY interpretation of
these special charachters. PA does not understand that command. Use ^]
and "quit" to exit a telnet connection.

Use "netcat" to connect the PA server. It doesn't do any fancy
TTY-foo, leaves ^D handled by your local TTY, doesn't translate NL to
CRLF and is thus the much better choice than telnet.

Long story short: telnet is not a generic TCP client. Never been,
never will be. Don't misuse it as such.

Lennart