PulseAudio with Motif?

Michel Bardiaux a ?crit :
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>> But you may
>> find pavucontrol etc. interesting, though these are GTK2 based.
>
> I have, and learned that the integration of pulseaudio with GTK is done
> not at application level but in a specific library. But it is C++, not
> exactly my cup of tea.

There isn't much there really. The idea is to make glib listen to PA's
file descriptor and use glib's callback system for integration.

http://www.pulseaudio.org/browser/trunk/src/pulse/glib-mainloop.c#L616

>> You should, however, *NOT* only implement a pulse backend in your
>> application. Put an abstraction layer in between to allow to add
>> direct ALSA and ESD access, too.
>
> If I wanted to do that, I would have kept SDL. Is there some flaw in
> pulseaudio that makes it less suitable than ALSA or ESD? And IIRC
> neither has an asynchronous API (admittedly I did not look very hard; I
> would like to avoid having to master more than 1 sound API).

Well, maybe if someone already wrote code for Motif apps to use ALSA,
that might be easier. The ALSA API is quite stable now, while Lennart
has said not so long ago (in the Skype-wanting-to-use-PA-natively
thread, IIRC) that the PA API could change.

Maybe going in that direction could be easier for now :)

Cheers

--
R?mi Cardona
LRI, INRIA