Non-native connections don't respect padevchooser settings

Hi,

I have something approaching the PerfectSetup[1], with a per-user daemon
and using the ALSA module and the esound protocol module for legacy
clients.

When I change the default output device using padevchooser, it applies
only to native PulseAudio streams, not to ALSA or esound clients - in
particular, to Gnome sound events.

I assume this is because padevchooser sets the default output device on
the root X window, which is then read by native clients but isn't
communicated to the daemon.

Is there any way to fix this - for example, could the per-user
pulseaudio daemon listen for padevchooser's defaults on the root window
and apply them to streams without output device set?

Thanks,

Ed

1. http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup