Re: [RFC 0/3] platform/x86: asus-wmi: Only map brightness codes when using asus-wmi backlight control

Hi All,

On 10/17/23 11:07, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here is a series to address the issue of some newer Asus laptop models
> sending 0x2a - 0x2c events for various keys which fall within
> the NOTIFY_BRNDOWN_MIN - NOTIFY_BRNDOWN_MAX range causing these to
> wrongly get translated to KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN events.
>
> To fix this change the NOTIFY_BRNUP_MIN - NOTIFY_BRNUP_MAX +
> NOTIFY_BRNDOWN_MIN - NOTIFY_BRNDOWN_MAX key-mapping to only apply
> to old models which use the vendor specific asus-wmi interface for
> backlight control.
>
> This series is marked as RFC because I still need to hear back
> from the reporter if this series actually fixes things.

Ok, so this has been tested now and since this is being hit by
multiple users (also see: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2123716 )
I have decided to push this to pdx86/fixes now.

Note there is a chance that this may lead to regressions where
the brightness hotkeys stop working on some really old Asus laptop
models, in case they do report the NOTIFY_BRNUP_MIN - NOTIFY_BRNUP_MAX +
NOTIFY_BRNDOWN_MIN - NOTIFY_BRNDOWN_MAX keys even though another
method (acpi_video / GPU-native) is used to control the backlight.

This would be weird, but not entirely unsurprising.

Unfortunately the only way to find out if this is the case is to try,
so I've decided to move ahead with this series to fix the known issues
caused without it on newer models. I will deal with any regressions
on older models if / when they get reported.

Regards,

Hans