Re: ideapad-laptop touchpad handling problems, request for help

Hi,

On 11/10/22 18:54, Maxim Mikityanskiy wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 at 18:42, Eray Orçunus <erayorcunus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

>>> I'm guessing that this part:
>>>
>>>                 unsigned char param;
>>>                 /*
>>>                  * Some IdeaPads don't really turn off touchpad - they only
>>>                  * switch the LED state. We (de)activate KBC AUX port to turn
>>>                  * touchpad off and on. We send KEY_TOUCHPAD_OFF and
>>>                  * KEY_TOUCHPAD_ON to not to get out of sync with LED
>>>                  */
>>>                 i8042_command(&param, value ? I8042_CMD_AUX_ENABLE : I8042_CMD_AUX_DISABLE);
>>>
>>> May cause issues on some models. It definitely feels fishy and
>>> I would like to disable this except on models where:
>>>
>>> 1. There is a LED controlled by some touchpad on/off hotkey; and
>>> 2. The EC fails to disable the touchpad itself
>>>
>>> Which would currently mean only enable this bit on Maxim's Z570
>>> using a DMI based allow list.
>
> A small note on the DMI allow-list: I don't think Z570 is the only
> laptop where EC fails to disable the touchpad. While I would like this
> hack to affect as few laptops as possible, I would expect that other
> similar models produced in the same time period suffer from the same
> issue, and I don't think we have the full list of them.

I realize that we may need to grow the list over time, but I would
rather do that, then keep doing the i8042 poking on almost all
the models even where it is not necessary and whee it is potentially
causing issues.

Regards,

Hans