Re: [RFC] add standardized attributes for force_discharge and inhibit_charge

Hi,

On 10/6/21 4:49 PM, Thomas Weißschuh wrote:
> On 2021-10-06T10:10+0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10/6/21 12:06 AM, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Maybe like this?

>>> What: /sys/class/power_supply/<supply_name>/charge_behaviour
>>> Date: October 2021
>>> Contact: linux-pm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>  Configure battery behaviour when a charger is being connected.
>>>
>>>  Access: Read, Write
>>>
>>>  Valid values:
>>>
>>>  0: auto / no override
>>>     When charger is connected battery should be charged
>>>  1: force idle
>>>     When charger is connected the battery should neither be charged
>>>     nor discharged.
>>>  2: force discharge
>>>     When charger is connected the battery should be discharged
>>>     anyways.
>>
>> That looks good to me. Although I just realized that some hw may
>> only support 1. or 2. maybe explicitly document this and that
>> EOPNOTSUPP will be reported when the value is not supported
>> (vs EINVAL for plain invalid values) ?
>
> Would that not force a userspace applications to offer all possibilities to
> the user only to tell them that it's not supported?
> If the driver knows what is supported and what not it should make this
> discoverable without actually performing the operation.
>
> Maybe something along the lines of /sys/power/mem_sleep.

Good point, but something like /sys/power/mem_sleep works
very differently then how all the other power_supply properties work.

In general if something is supported or not on a psy class
device is communicated by the presence / absence of attributes.

So I think we should move back to having 2 separate attributes
for this after all; and group the 2 together in the doc and
document that enabling (setting to 1) one of force_charge /
inhibit_charge automatically clears the setting of the other.

Then the availability of the features can simply be probed
by checking for the presence of the property files.

Regards,

Hans