RE: dell-driver: Backlight access slow

> On a Dell Precision 3540/0M14W7 with Debian sid/unstable restoring the
> keyboard backlight takes over 100 ms according to `systemd-analyze
> critical-chain` [1].
>
> ```
> $ systemd-analyze critical-chain
> […]
>              └─sysinit.target @887ms
>                └─systemd-backlight@leds:dell::kbd_backlight.service
> @1.295s +114ms
>                  └─system-systemd\x2dbacklight.slice @1.294s
>                    └─system.slice @291ms
>                      └─-.slice @291ms
> ```
>
> I have to run the program [2] under strace to know for sure, that the
> delay is caused by accessing the backlight device. Unfortunately, the
> device is already in use by somebody else, so debugging is not easy.
> Maybe you have some hint, how to approach analysis from the Linux kernel
> side.

The way the keyboard backlight control works it does go into dell-laptop which
invokes a SMI to interact with a BIOS defined SMM interface.  This unfortunately
is going to be slow and cumbersome.  I don't know any way to improve it, and I would
suggest that systemd should not be changing the backlight during the bootup, the firmware
will be keeping the last value configured for you.