Re: LG laptop driver not working on recent models

Hi,

On 9/20/20 8:04 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
+Cc: PDx86 mailing list and co-maintainers

So unrelated to the original issue, but I assume that this
battery_care_limit is a threshold above which the
laptop will not start charging, i.e. if it is set to 80
as Alessandro is trying to do and the laptop is plugged
into the charger after being discharged to 90% then it will
NOT charge.

Assuming I have got this right, then now a days we have
a standard power_supply class sysfs attribute for this,
charge_start_threshold .

Or maybe I got it wrong and the battery_care_limit means
never charge above that value? Then the new standard
power_supply class sysfs attribute would be
charge_stop_threshold.

These attributes should be added to the existing
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT? entry which is registered
for the battery by the drivers/apci/battery.c driver.

Now normally it is not possible to add sysfs attributes
to a power-supply added by another driver, but recently
some work has been done to make this possible, for
pretty much the same reasons as why we want this in
the lg-laptop driver now.

Specifically the thinkpad_acpi driver uses this new
mechanism to register both a charge_start_threshold and
a charge_stop_threshold with the /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0
entry for the Thinkpad's battery.

There are some discussions/plans in the GNOME project to
add support for selecting battery charge profiles from the
GUI. But this will only work if the foo-laptop driver for the
laptop implements the new standard charge_start_threshold and
charge_stop_threshold sysfs attributes under
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT?

So if someone with access to a LG-gram laptop could make the
driver register these standard attributes that would be great.

See thinkpad_acpi for an example how to do this.

Regards,

Hans

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 2:44 PM Alessandro Zarrilli