Re: platform/x86: intel-vbtn: reports SW_TABLET_MODE=1 even if that's not the case

Hi,

thanks for the quick response and patch. I compiled a kernel and
the user reported that it no longer reports SW_TABLET_MODE as active,
and the keyboard and touchpad are usable.

> > As a sidenote, another interesting thing is that seemingly no ACPI events are fired when
> > the device is "folded".
>
> Hmm, that is weird, there is a handler for such an event in the EC event handler
> table in the DSDT. How did you monitor this?

acpid + acpi_listen, evtest, and now evemu-record. None of them show any activity.

> Can you ask the user to run "sudo evemu-record" and then select the
> "Intel Virtual Button driver" device? That should now report 0 as state
> for SW_TABLET_MODE when booted in normal clamshell mode; and hopefully it
> will change to 1 when the user folds the 2-in-1 into tablet mode.

Reportedly, that does not happen. It stays zero. Interestingly, the keyboard
and touchpad are disabled nonetheless in tablet mode. Here is the evemu-record output:

 # EVEMU 1.3
 # Kernel: 5.4.64-1-MANJARO
 # DMI: dmi:bvnInsyde:bvrF.28:bd08/11/2015:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPPavilion11x360PC:pvr0979110000405F00000310180:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn8050:rvr64.20:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvrChassisVersion:
 # Input device name: "Intel Virtual Button driver"
 # Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0000 product 0000 version 0000
 # Supported events:
 #   Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
 #     Event code 0 (SYN_REPORT)
 #     Event code 1 (SYN_CONFIG)
 #     Event code 2 (SYN_MT_REPORT)
 #     Event code 3 (SYN_DROPPED)
 #     Event code 4 ((null))
 #     Event code 5 ((null))
 #     Event code 6 ((null))
 #     Event code 7 ((null))
 #     Event code 8 ((null))
 #     Event code 9 ((null))
 #     Event code 10 ((null))
 #     Event code 11 ((null))
 #     Event code 12 ((null))
 #     Event code 13 ((null))
 #     Event code 14 ((null))
 #     Event code 15 (SYN_MAX)
 #   Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
 #     Event code 114 (KEY_VOLUMEDOWN)
 #     Event code 115 (KEY_VOLUMEUP)
 #     Event code 116 (KEY_POWER)
 #     Event code 125 (KEY_LEFTMETA)
 #     Event code 240 (KEY_UNKNOWN)
 #     Event code 561 (KEY_ROTATE_LOCK_TOGGLE)
 #   Event type 4 (EV_MSC)
 #     Event code 4 (MSC_SCAN)
 #   Event type 5 (EV_SW)
 #     Event code 1 (SW_TABLET_MODE)
 #        State 0
 #     Event code 5 (SW_DOCK)
 #        State 0
 # Properties:
 N: Intel Virtual Button driver
 I: 0019 0000 0000 0000
 P: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 00 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 1c 20
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 04 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 05 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 B: 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 #      Waiting for events      #

I have no idea what might be going on with that laptop, but fortunately,
the patch seems to have solved the most pressing issue.

Regards,
Barnabás Pőcze