Re: PROBLEM: "kernel BUG" and not booting on ALIX with CONFIG_NET5501=y

Op 10-12-18 om 22:49 schreef Dan Williams:
On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:23 AM Gert Robben <t2@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Op 09-12-18 om 18:28 schreef Dan Williams:
On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 7:25 AM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cc: Dan (Dan, it seems in the file mentioned in the bug the only
change between affected and non-affected verions is yours)

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for forwarding, can you give the attached patch a try to get
more information?

We should remove the BUG_ON() regardless of the outcome,
reserve_memtype() failures should not bring down the system.

Yes, I tried the patch, without the BUG_ON it seems to work fine at
first glance.
The relevant dmesgs and config are attached.

Note, I forgot to save the kernel+config I used in the first email (it's
not my routine).
So I rebuilt and captured the error again with the same config, see
dmesg-nodebug.
Maybe it makes comparing easier.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks, it had everything I needed. Can you give the attached fix a
try? If it looks good I'll submit to the x86 maintainers.

Yes, that solves it.
With the patch I get the same dmesg, as with CONFIG_NET5501 unset without the patch (the 3 error lines are gone).
Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
Regards, Gert