Re: GFP_DMA flag usage

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 11:54:55PM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> According to [1] the GFP_DMA (and might be __GFP_DMA32, though it's
> not explicitly listed, however dell-smbios.c is listed there) has some
> memory allocator performance impac

Performance analysis was done eons ago and back then there was a gain, no
new performance analysis has been done but folks at LSFMM present
didn't expect there to be any gains, so the whole GFP_DMA for x86 thing
may just an aesthetics thing. Internally there are some things mm folks
can also do long term to help with this and moving GFP_DMA to use CMA
is one of it long term. However misuse of GFP_DMA for x86 drivers
was acknowledged as likely being copy-and-paste mistakes. Use of GFP_DMA
varies by architecture, and for x86 to only need it if you need lower
16 bit addresses.

So just keep that in mind.

  Luis

--