intel_turbo_max_3 non-modularity

Hi all,

I see that the intel_turbo_max_3 driver was originally supposed to be
modular, and then support for that possibility was removed. Is there
any fundamental reason why this driver can't be built as a module?

I am asking because the description of the driver says:

"This driver is only required when the system is not using Hardware
P-States (HWP). In HWP mode, priority can be read from ACPI tables."

This pretty much implies that this driver will be useless on a wide
range (maybe even the majority?) of systems. Given this, not being
forced to build the driver into the kernel would seem preferable.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support