Re: Acer ES1-522 wifi blocked and Fn keys don't work (WMI)

On 01/22/2017 06:36 AM, joeyli wrote:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 12:05:52PM -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:
I have a user with an Acer ES1-522 laptop and the wifi isn't working. The
driver detects it correctly, but rfkill says it's hard blocked.  The wifi
toggle key doesn't have any effect.  The touchpad toggle button disables the
touchpad, but doesn't enable it when pressed again. However, suspend/resume
resets the touchpad to working again.  The acer-wmi module is loaded and an
input device is created.  However, none of the listed keys actually provide
any output.

I blacklisted the acer_wmi module and now the wifi works.  Is there any
further information I could provide that would help?

What is your kernel verion?

It's running Fedora 24, so the latest kernel at the time was probably 4.8.17. I see that a 4.9.5 kernel is available for F24 now, so I can try that one if it would be helpful.

And, did you see any messages in dmesg when you pressed those fn-keys?

I didn't see any messages at all.

Also, on all the Acer laptops I checked, the accelerometer device gives the "Operation not permitted" error. Should I split that into a new thread? It appears to be part of the acer-wmi module as well.