Re: UP Board and similar

Hi Andy

On 06/30/2016 09:36 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thank you for the series and sorry to answer as a new mail, just
> subscribed to the list and didn't manage to retrieve archives (seems
> VGER doesn't have them).
Thanks very much for your reply.  I appreciate you kick-starting a
discussion on these patches.  :-)

> So, regarding to enabling UP Board and similar open connected  boards
> (Galileo, Edison/Arduino, etc.).
>
> The mentioned boards are x86. There is currently no way to handle
> pinctrl on them since they are ACPI-based. Moreover pinctrl doesn't
> have a way to configure stuff for customer needs!
>
> What is my vision on the issue. Currently we have pending ACPI patches
> from Octavian that help us to load ACPI DSDT overlays in a way as it
> works for DT. This will make possible to create a blob to configure
> pins. Thus, part of the patch series which hard codes the mappings is
> not needed. And therefore your drivers should go somewhere under
> drivers/pinctrl/intel folder which Mika (mostly) and I are supporting.
Yes, I think that makes sense.  This is essentially a pin control driver
(except for some LED control functionality).

> We still need to agree on the above: which folder and how those
> drivers should look like.
Darren has suggested that I re-post the patches for review, so I'll do
that next and see where the discussion takes us.

> P.S. Dan, next time please include me and Mika into Cc list for such
> things. Thanks!

Will do, thanks!