Re: asus-nb-wmi: wifi & brightness keys does not work on asus x200la laptop

On 10/20/2014 08:01 PM, Corentin Chary wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mjt@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     On 10/01/2014 02:15 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>     > Hello.
>     >
>     > It looks like asus-nb-wmi (or asus-wmi) does not handle some
>     > (acpi?) keys on some recent asus laptops.  In particular, on
>     > my x200la laptop, the mentioned keys does absolutely nothing
>     > (neither showkeys nor xev shows them).  Also, wifi led is
>     > always off.
>     >
>     > Reportedly the same prob exists on another (but similar) series,
>     > x200ma (which is basically the same but is built on celeron/atom
>     > processor).
>     >
>     > How can I help in debugging/implementing this support?
>
>     Anyone know this stuff, maybe some hints about where to start?
>     I wrote this email almost 3 weeks ago, and so far there was no
>     single reply...  Does anyone actually maintain this module?
[]
> Well, I guess if you don't see anything in the output of asus-nb-wmi, the keys are unlikely to be handled by this module.
> I don't really have the time to look at your DSDT, but I guess you can start with:
> - http://lwn.net/Articles/391230/
> - http://lwn.net/Articles/367630/
>
> Reading the DSDT you may understand what is happening to your brighntess  events.

Thank you for the warm words, Corentin ;)

This prompted me to pefrorm some research, and I also found this (which is quite old
already and I should have seen it before but apparently I didn't):

  http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=171563&start=20#p883644

(this is a similar model but with different cpu).  Their solution was to boot
with acpi_osi= (empty string) -- with that, all 4 keys (brightness up/down,
screen on/off and wifi key) works.

I don't know what it really means, and if linux should work around this somehow
by its own, but at least it looks like no new driver should be written.

Also I don't know if there's anything else which breaks this way.

What does this acpi_osi= (empty) does, anyway?

Thanks,

/mjt