Re: Wireless key on Fujitsu E753 not working since a57f7f9175b8ccbc9df83ac13860488913115de4

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:42:07AM +0100, Jan Hinnerk Stosch wrote:
> Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay.

No problem.

> I finally got some time to look into this:
> When I boot with the named boot option the key does work with and
> without fujitsu_laptop being loaded.
> Additionally I found a bug report at launchpad:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1159690 with some
> more people affected by this, who are using notebooks from different
> manufacturers, so this doesn't really seem to be related to
> fujitsu_laptop module, does it?

I tend to agree.  The fact that the named boot option makes this work
regardless of whether fujitsu_laptop is loaded or not indicates to me that
the mechanism driving this key on your laptop does not involve
fujitsu_laptop.  My guess at present is that on your laptop the key is
implemented in a standard way and therefore the handling of it is taken care
of by generic code.  By and large the code in fujitsu_laptop exists to deal
with features on laptops which were implemented in non-standard ways.
Affected laptops tend to be older (newer ones tend to comply more closely
with what we'll call standards for the purposes of this discussion).  This
would explain why fujitsu_laptop doesn't have any effect on the key.

As to why the named boot option seems to affect the key, I don't know and
can't offer any sugestions due to a lack of knowledge about the acpi_osi
option and how it affects the ACPI subsystem.

To summarise: based on the tests you have done I don't think this is related
to the fujitsu_laptop module since the key's behaviour is not affected by
the presence or absence of this module.

Regards
  jonathan