Re: asus-wmi.ko should be loaded before video.ko

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM, AceLan Kao <acelan.kao@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new commit[1] will call acpi_video_dmi_promote_vendor() to add
> the ACPI_VIDEO_BACKLIGHT_DMI_VENDOR flag to acpi_video_support.
> So, asus-wmi.ko should be loaded before video.ko, or calling that
> function is in vain.
> Since loading video.ko will check those flags, we have to add the flag
> before it's being checked.
>
> I'm wondering is there a way to add this kind of dependency in the code, so that
> depmod will help to build the dependency in modules.dep
>
> 1. 272c77d asus-wmi: control backlight power through WMI, not ACPI
>
> Best regards,
> AceLan Kao.

Hi,

I don't really understand what you mean.
Currently:
- acpi_video_dmi_promote_vendor() is called to set the flags
- video.ko flags are checked to find which backlight should be used
(in order to respect acpi_video="" parameters if user specified them)
- if necessary, acpi_video_unregister() is called

So yes, the acpi backlight will be register, and then un-registered,
but there is no way to fix that (or with a big blacklist in video.ko,
and we don't want that).

Thanks,

--
Corentin Chary