Issues with the sony-platform module

Hi,

I'm a user of the Sony VAIO VPCS12C5E and as such have always struggled
with the Linux support of my laptop basically forever. Until now I've
used the patch provided here [1], which worked quite well for some time.
However since kernel version 3.3 I couldn't change the brightness of my
screen anymore.

So I was quite glad to see that finally the patch was cleaned up and
included upstream. Unfortunately it doesn't fix the issue with the
brightness control, although the commit messages do say something about
various fixes to the ACPI handling.

When loading the module with the debug option enabled I get the
following message, which, I suppose, is related to the issue:

[ 2713.289135] sony_laptop: brightness ignored, must be controlled by
ACPI video driver

Probably I should add that I have a dedicated graphics card from Nvidia
(310 M) and not - as many others - the integrated GPU.

Maybe, someone can look into this. I'm glad to provide some logs and
test out patches, but other than that I can't do any good, I guess.

As already said the original patch from [1] worked fine with 3.1 (and
3.2 if I remember it rightly), so something within the kernel probably
changed and broke the support of my hardware.

So, I've uploaded a dmesg log when loading the module with the debug
option enabled and trying to change the brightness with the fn keys here
[2]. Maybe this is already enough to nail the issue down. Otherwise just
let me know what you would like to have.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

[1] https://code.google.com/p/vaio-f11-linux/wiki/KernelSupport