Re: thinkpad_acpi fan stop working problem (was after resume) (speed becomes 65535)

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2012, r ll wrote:
>> most of time the fan is working well, but usually every night I close the laptop
>> let the Linux suspend; then resume on next morning, occasionally the laptop
>> could become very hot, usually above 90℃ for long time, if I compile something
>> or do some heavy work, it may go up over 128℃ then machine
>> automatically shutdown,
>>
>> # cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input
>> 97000
>> # cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/fan1_input
>> 65535
>
> "-1" (reported as 65535) *is* the standard ThinkPad EC lingo for "not
> available".  Getting this in the tachometer is really weird, but
> actually useful :p  It is also the first time I've ever heard of this.
>
> Change your kernel to disable thinkpad-acpi fan control, i.e. make
> *sure* thinkpad_acpi is always loaded with fan_control=0, even at the
> first time it is loaded.  You might need to mess with /etc/modprobe.d,
> and maybe even update your initramfs.

Once boot, I see it's "N", is it not enough to make sure?
I always compile in the hdd drivers and filesystem code for root, so
not using an initramfs;
this thinkpad_acpi module is just loaded automatically by some init script,
and my /etc/modprobe.d is empty, I'm using modprobe by kmod 7-2;

$ cat /sys/module/thinkpad_acpi/parameters/fan_control
$ cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/fan1_input
3578
$ pacman -Q |grep kmod
kmod 7-2

> Run it like that for a while, so that you can access whether the problem
> went away or not.  Let's find out whether it is thinkpad-acpi or
> something else that is getting the EC pissed off :-)
>
>> I tried unload & reload the kernel module but it still doesn't work;
>> I tried manually set a speed level but it's still 65535, the machine
>> is still hot
>
> So, whatever it is, it makes the EC ignore fan control commands.
>
> Are you using the "fan" ACPI module?

Do you mean this CONFIG_ACPI_FAN ? I found it's Y, but I can try disable it;
but do you think it's conflict with thinkpad_acpi fan ?

$ grep -i fan /boot/config
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y

--
Cheng Renquan (程任全)