pjsua python with no audio

Ok, I am building a pjsua app that I would like to monitor incoming calls, answer appropriate ones and play audio (to the caller). It would be nice to be able to determine if the caller presses any buttons as well (call tree). However it seems that because this is a headless system with no soundcard (server) that I need be setting pjsua to null audio. However, when I do this I get errors.

This is the relevant code:

lib = pjsua.Lib()
lib.set_null_snd_dev()

The error I am getting is this: ../src/pjmedia/conference.c:695: pjmedia_conf_get_master_port: Assertion `conf != ((void *)0)' failed.

If I comment out the lib.set_null_snd_dev() line it starts just fine (though with a pile of ALSA warnings).

What should I do to get this working how I should? I am not afraid of recompiling or whatever I need to do. This is a barebones Ubuntu 16.10 server, I currently am using the precompiled package from apt.

--
Thank you!

Anders Finn
MonkeyBrains ISP