pjsua no audio on 64-bit ubuntu 13.10

I am running pjsua built from PJSIP 2.1.0 on a desktop machine running 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10. I am trying to call a public SIP server. The call connects successfully but I dont hear any audio. I hear the ringing when call is connecting and then briefly for a second I hear some sound when the call is connected. After that there is no audio. I have compiled PJSIP using libasound2-dev. I tried to use PJSUA to play a WAV file as per?http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/wiki/audio-check-play?and it works fine. I am also able to connect to the public SIP server using Ekiga softphone and the audio works just fine.

The audio on my system works fine in general.

Appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Kind Regards
John