NAT and REFER related Questions

 Hi All,
I have two questions on the open source PJSIP. I greatly appreciate if
someone could clarify the same.

1. NAT issue.

I recently experienced an issue with voice path on iOS. I analyzed the
issue and found that PJSIP does not translate the IP addresses in the SDP
though it translates the IP addresses (from Private to Public) in the
signaling contact and via headers. Due to this incomplete translation, the
RTP exchange fails and results in media failure.
As a workaround, I had to modify the default values of the following 2
parameters so that PJSIP does not perform any translations and leaves it to
the ALG (we use INGATE firewall) to do the translations. This fixes the
voice path issue
acc_cfg.allow_contact_rewrite = PJ_FALSE;

acc_cfg.allow_via_rewrite = PJ_FALSE;
The only concern I have with the above change is that all NATs may not have
ALG functionality, and the voice path may still fail.

Hence, please let me know is there any reason why PJSIP doesn't translate
the IP addresses in the SDP? Is there any setting or configurables or
values I need to modify on PJSIP to make the calls (media) working across
NATs

2. SIP REFER and transport=tcp parameter in the Refer-To header

My PJSIP transport is set to TCP and it succesfully registers on TCP.
However when it receives an incoming SIP REFER (like transfer) over TCP,
PJSIP tries to send the event notifications (indicating the progress of the
call (sipfrag)) over UDP. Since the UDP transport is not initialized the
outgoing NOTIFY fails resulting in the failure to make a new call. With
reference to the same, I have the following questions.

a. Why does not PJSIP send NOTIFY on the configured transport (TCP in this
case)? Why does it try to send it over UDP?

b. If the above is acceptable, Kindly let me know the RFC/Section that
states that NOTIFY can also be sent over UDP.

c. Why does PJSIP rely on transport=tcp parameter in the incoming Refer-To
header of the REFER message to send the NOTIFY over TCP?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Srinivas

The only concern