Distributed Conferencing

Hello,

I am planning to create a conference server where calls (sip or pstn)
are received at one server and conference mixing happens at
another(these could be same machines or different ones depending on
load). For this implementation, I needed your help in understanding
which of the following are major CPU and memory consuming activities: a)
Encoding/Decoding, b) Re-sampling, c) Echo Cancellation, d)Conferencing.

And also I would like to know how would I achieve a UA which would
initially act as a terminating UA and accept a call, take a passcode
using DTMF, do the passcode validation and then would act as a gateway
which would be transcoding and transrating the audio media between the
client and the conference server.

Regards
Manmeet