How to integrate DSP device with PJSIP

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Jeff Brower <jbrower at signalogic.com> wrote:

> Robin-
>
> > Now we have ported PJSIP to the MIPS embedded platform under Linux
> > environment, and now we want to integrate the PJSIP stack with our DSP
> > device since there's no sound device on the board. Our DSP has the
> ability
> > to pack data to RTP and decode from RTP flow, in that case, what's the
> best
> > practice should we take?
>
> The codec takes the real work, so simply call encode() and decode()
> functions using your DSP.  Echo-can maybe is
> another function to move there at some point, if needed...
>
> In the tightly coupled architecture that you describe (similar to an SoC),
> where the MIPS CPU has the IP/UDP interface
> and the DSP is "attached" to the MIPS in some way (shared mem, FIFO, etc),
> it makes sense to only run "compute
> intensive" code on the DSP, and keep everything else on the MIPS.

Just wanted to point out that in 2.0 we added support for integrating
PJSUA-LIB with third party media stack. IMO this is the best option to
take, as you'd still have all the high-level signaling and NAT traversal
features of PJSUA-LIB while offloading the media stuff in the DSP. Have a
look at http://trac.pjsip.org/repos/wiki/3rd_Party_Media_20

cheers,
 Benny