Build of pjsip 2.0.1 fails on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Ken Resander <kresander at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I want to use pjsip video, but the build of pjsip 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04
> LTS failed with message:
>
>   "./src/pjmedia-codec/ffmpeg_vid_codecs.c:258:5: error: #error "Must use
> libavcodec version 53.20 or later to enable FFMPEG H264"
>
> The PCs here run the current Long-Term_Support (LTS) version 10.04 of
> Ubuntu and it is not possible to move away from that at the moment.
>
> Libavcodec53 is available for Ubuntu 12.04 and 11.10 but not for Ubuntu
> 10.04. I checked with Synaptic Manager and Software Centre on 10.04 and
> these do not show libavcodec53 as a choice, only libavcodec52. So
> libavcodec53 is not in the standard repositories of Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> Q1. can I obtain libavcodec53 et al in some other way? I believe I only
> need the libavxxxxs (what are they?), not the command-line ffmpeg (correct?)

I am using 10.04 too, and I surely don't want to upgrade workstation
because of pjsip either. :)

The solution is easy though, just download the latest ffmpeg and
configure/install it to a private directory using --prefix argument to
configure, then use --with-ffmpeg option when running pjsip's configure to
tell it where ffmpeg is. The same for SDL etc.

> Q2.  can I leave out the H264 video and still experiment to get a feel for
> how to use pjsip with video, for example by using H263? I notice pjsip also
> supports AVI. Is that available without H264?

Sure. For AVI, we support decoding few more codecs such as MJPEG.

> There is a macro PJMEDIA_HAS_FFMPEG_CODEC_H264 defined in
> pjmedia/include/pjmedia-codec/config.h and referenced in
> pjmedia-codec/ffmpeg_vid_codecs.c.
>
> Q3.  should I set PJMEDIA_HAS_FFMPEG_CODEC_H264 to 0 in config.h? Is that
> safe or are there better ways to force a build without H264 support?

No. *Always* use config_site.h to override the settings. Have you not read
the user's guide (I hope this is written there somewhere). :)

> Q4.  is it possible to build with H264 support using libavcodec52 i.e. by
> not using the very latest libavxxxs? Would that result in reduced h264
> functionality say, or is it impossible? If possible, what do I need to do?

See Q1.

 Benny