multiple servers within a transaction?

I'd like to give pjsip the ability to act on ICMP Destination Unreachable messages, which gets sent by a host when it receives a UDP packet on a port nobody's listening to.? It looks like I could just modify tsx_timer_callback in sip_transaction.c to terminate a transaction if a retransmit timeout happens on a transaction after receiving a matching ICMP.? This would let me detect that asterisk is shut down on a pbx quicker than waiting for all the retransmits to time out.

Is it safe to assume that a transaction is always a communication with one specific IP address?? I'm a little unclear on whether the transaction would cycle through ip addresses for a server that resolves to multiple hosts, or whether those would be different transactions handled at a higher level in the stack.

-m@