Detecting abnormal session termination

Hi all,
        Could anyone suggest a solution to overcome the following problem,
1) A softphone (UA_1) is used to call a Pjsip based passive user agent
(UA_2 which only accepts the call and records it)
2) UA_1 calls UA_2 and media session is established
3) Now UA_1 application crashes mid-way without sending a BYE to UA_2

This situation would cause recording to continue indefinitely,as the
recording UA waits  for BYE to be sent from UA_1 for the session to
terminate and end the recording. I do not wish to add a timer to end a call
after a fixed duration like the way its done in pjsua_app.c. Is there any
way I can detect this deadlock and break out of it in my appllication.Does
pjsip have any callback to detect a situation like this.Am using the pjsip
version 1.12.Any help on this would be great for me.

--
Regards,
Sandeep