libpjproject in unicode program

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Toni Rutar Lokar <buldozer at aufbix.org>wrote:

>  Hi,
>

>  I have a small 'issue' with libpjproject (latest svn 1.x branch). While
> it can be compiled as unicode, pj_str is still a char type, rather than a
> wchar one. Which basically means that I have to convert unicode->mb and
> mb->unicode the whole time. Of course it also means that, when recording
> conversations (or playing a file), I can not use unicode file names.
>
>  So - are there any plans to make it completely unicode and multibyte
> (depending on build) library, or am I just missing something?

I think pjsip is meant to work in ascii by design, because we're mostly
working with text protocols. This doesn't say that apps can't be set to
work in Unicode though, and in fact that's how it's done with Windows
Mobile and Symbian apps. Yes there will be conversion between the two
domains, but I don't think it should happen the whole time, or if it does,
probably that's because SIP and not pjsip that wants it that way. You're
probably right though with regard to files.

 Benny