iPhone audio quality with Bluetooth headset - need help

Hello,

We managed to route the audio to a bluetooth headset (pjsip 1.8.10)
using the following call from our application:

     pjmedia_aud_dev_route route = PJMEDIA_AUD_DEV_ROUTE_BLUETOOTH;
     pj_status_t status =
pjsua_snd_set_setting(PJMEDIA_AUD_DEV_CAP_INPUT_ROUTE, &route, PJ_TRUE);

It worked after a small modification to pjsip 1.8.10. Namely, we removed
the code that recreated the audio unit in response to audio route change
event.

However, the outgoing audio quality (originated from bluetooth headset),
as well as the incoming audio quality (played to the bluetooth headset)
is unacceptable. It is very choppy (has frequent pauses of random
length), and the delay is huge.

I tried to find out in the code what goes wrong. But I didn't notice
anything. All methods return success. The audio format seems to be
standard PCM 8KHz mono. I didn't play with the jitter buffer size yet.
It might be also the "performance" issue, but where? My BT headset works
well with the built-in iPhone cell calls, audio quality is OK.

Does anybody experienced the same issue? Does anybody have decent audio
streams with a bluetooth headset? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Dmitry