Why setting the latency to lower value will affect the audio stability?

> Hi everyone:
>
> First of all, thanks for this great open source project. I'm a rookie
> to pjsip, and got many questions. I saw the wiki of Optimizing Sound
> Device Latency and it said:
> Setting the latency to lower value will affect the audio stability (it
> will make it more sensitive to CPU disruptions), so choose the value
> carefully.
>
> I don't get it. Can anyone describe a little bit of the reason?

The reason is buffer underrun. If CPU is distracted by other tasks
other than shuffling packets from Jitsi to soundcard, soundcard won't
have enough data to playout the audio which results in buffer
underrun.

The higher the latency = higher playout buffer = lower chance of
buffer underrun.
The lower the latency = lower playout buffer = higher chance of buffer underrun.

kel