how to configure the jitter buffer?

Hi list,
I have a problem understanding the jitter buffer.
I want to make a call with a constant delay between both of them between
200 ms and 40 ms, it means the call1 send the audio but the call2 plays it
with a constant delay of X (in ms). I have tried with an adaptive jitter
buffer but I have a lot of packet loss (more than 5%). And I have tried
with a fixed jitter buffer but it doesn't work.
If I want to introduce a X (in ms) of delay, I have thought that with a
prefetch of X (in ms) and a maximal size of the jitter buffer of 4*X should
work fine, but I have a lot of discard packets. So can anyone help me and
explain me how should I configure the jitter buffer in this case?
Thanks!!!:)