iLBC choppy and robotic on some calls in iOS

Has anyone got pjsip's stock iLBC to work in iOS?  One out of every 3 or
so calls has a very consistent choppiness, sounding as if it's a processor
or bandwidth issue.  Calls that are fine stay fine throughout the entire
call, and calls with bad audio stay the same through the call as well.  It
doesn't seem to be a processor issue, as both good and bad calls use about
50% cpu on an iPhone 3GS.  It doesn't seem to be a bandwidth issue, as the
bad calls sound exactly the same and happen with the same frequency over
fast WiFi as they do over 3G.  I've tried tweaking all settings I could
get access to in both the codec parameters and pjsua's various config
structs.  I've tried sending re-invites after calls connect.  On the
average, there's no more packet loss or jitter on bad calls than on good
calls.  I can't reproduce the issue using any other codecs, so it does
seem to be limited to iLBC.

3rd party apps (Acrobits) can also use iLBC fine on every call using our
registrar and engine.  Acrobits sends its SIP messages through a proxy,
though there's no real difference (other than format) between the content
of its messages and my client's.  The RTP packets don't look significantly
different either.  One other clue is that it sounds as though the same
percentage of calls start out with the robotic choppiness in Acrobits, but
Acrobits seems to correct these calls within a second.  Pcapping from the
server side didn't seem to reveal anything significant, and I was unable
to determine what Acrobits is doing differently.

Has anyone had any success in resolving this?