G729 on Windows Mobile

Yeah, the big problem with the VoiceAge library is that its an unreasonably expensive piece of software, I'm sure its good but I'm at a loss to see how anyone could make a profit using it, considering the small marketshare the winMo phones have for apps. If a G729 iphone app can reasonably be expected to make around $150 a week less about $110 for patent licencing fees , then if one assumes half that market size for winMo apps, we are talking possibly up to a decade or so to recoup the licencing costs. Thats just not feasible.

More to the point, Its not at all GPL compatible , meaning its simply not possible to use without using the dual licencing option in PJSIP.

The major problem with the G729 solution that Samuel has provided the community is that the Assembly optimizations are don't work in Visual studio, because , for some bizarre reason, compiler won't accept inline assembly for the ARM platform. It might be possible to use non optimized C routines, but from our experience the little arm chips in the windows phones, even the more gutsier offerings like the HTC ones, just don't seem to have the heavy lifting power to pull it off.

Theres a possible work around using ARM intrinsics , but we haven't had a lot of luck with these yet. I haven't personally looked at it, but it might be a simple solution.

Theres also some "DSP" versions of G729 that look like they are also based off the reference versions, that might be useable. Will find out later.

Warm regards,
Shayne.