Answering the comment on PGP in PJSIP

Hello everybody,

first of all I'm sorry for the late reply.

> Since you probably know this better than me, wasn't PGP authentication
> removed from SIP? (or are you the person that will resurrect it?) I
> read it from http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg11899.html

Mr. Prijono, you're absoloutly right -- PGP was removed from SIP since
RFC 3261.

In the context of my thesis I have analyzed various possibilities to
realize an mutual end-to-end authentication in SIP. That means, the
caller has to authenticate himself against the callee and vice versa.

Although PGP was removed, I think there are some reasons to resurrect it:

- PGP follows a non-hierarchic approach ("web of trust") in contrast
to TLS or S/MIME.
- For TLS and S/MIME a PKI is necessary.
- There might be a lack of security having an Certificate Authority
involved (e.g. untrusted/private CAs, insecure certificates freely
available).
- HTTP Digest is not suitable for an end-to-end authentification, only
the caller has to authenticate himself. [1]
- TLS is useful only on a single-hop. [2]
- The UAC has the possibility to use a SIPS URI to initiate a secure
connection. But this means TLS will be established between the UAC and
the domain that owns the specified URI only. There is no need to
establish a secure connection between the following hops. [3]
- S/MIME can be used for an end-to-end authentification, but using
S/MIME means to deal with duplicated headers (inner and outer header).
Impelemntors have to assure the consistency of these headers. Beside,
this causes overhead (by duplicating some header). [4]

As result of my analysis, I prefer an authentication schema that is
based on a non-hierarchic approach. Thus, I am dealing with the most
commenly known one -- namely PGP.

I am *not* trying to bring PGP back into SIP as a core element. But I
try to offer PGP to all users that prefer this schema. Similar to
e-mail, PGP is not a mandatory part of it -- but many users utilise PGP,
e.g. via EnigMail plugin within Thunderbird e-mail client.
By implementing PGP support into PJSIP, these users can still use the
authentication schema they already use in e-mail communication.

So once again, I would like to know if someone is aware of the PGP
structures beeing in the PJSIP source yet -- or it is just you, Mr. Prijono?

Secondly, are you interested in my code? Would you like to use it?

Regards
Sebastian H?bner

[1] RFC 3162, Session Initiation Protocol, Section 22, Page 193
[2] "SIP - Understanding the Session Initiation Protocol",
    Section 2.5.3, Page 41
[3] RFC 3162, Session Initiation Protocol, Section 19.1, Page 148
[4] RFC 3162, Session Initiation Protocol, Section 23.4.1, Page 207-208