encrypting the payload data

hi,
I want to encrypt the payload of the RTP packet and transmit it . I came to understand that we need to encrypt the payload only after encoding it.But once we have encoded it the data size is reduced from 320 bytes to 33 bytes. Can anyone tell me why should we only encrypt after encoding and why the encoder compresses the data?
?
There is one more thing. When i encrypt the raw data before encoding it,?the encryption/decryption fails as the data is of void* type and i encode it after type casting it to char* .Do we need to take any extra measure to encrypt before encoding.
?
thanks and regards
susheel tickoo
?