PJSIP 1.7 iphone port - remote echo issue with speaker phone

Hi, here is the code I am using to switch to loudspeaker on the iphone

pjmedia_aud_dev_route route =  PJMEDIA_AUD_DEV_ROUTE_LOUDSPEAKER;

pj_status_t status;

 pjsua_set_ec (PJSUA_DEFAULT_EC_TAIL_LEN,0);

status = pjsua_snd_set_setting(PJMEDIA_AUD_DEV_CAP_OUTPUT_ROUTE,

   &route, PJ_TRUE);

pjsua_set_ec (PJSUA_DEFAULT_EC_TAIL_LEN,0);

I just added the pjsua_set_ec both before and after to see if it makes a
difference. The remote party is still hearing his own voice back loud and
clear.

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?