Power consumption

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:43 AM, mohamed hassan <e-mohhassan at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi all,
> I'm working in development VOIP project but I'm found big problem, end
> battry quickly in N73 (3hours) mobile and project during test not send and
> recived any data, I'm used PJSIP library, used Performance Investigator in
> carbide c++ to tracking power consumption and used Nokia Energy Profiler,
> but not access to thread responsible power consumption.
> what's work to solve this problem?

Thanks for the report. First of all, I got to admit that we have not done
extensive power profiling ourselves, but having said that, I think we've
done all we can to improve power consumption, for example, we have zero
polling on the Symbian target. So it could be that the poor power
consumption that you observed is a characteristic of VoIP/SIP applications
in general and not PJSIP in specific.

Lets discuss where the power is consumed in PJSIP, assuming the application
is idle. As I mentioned, we used zero polling on Symbian, so if the
application is idle then basically PJSIP is stopped completely (no running
code in the background as such).

First to check is the sound device. The
pjsua_media_config.snd_auto_close_time setting can be used to automatically
close the sound device when it's not used, but by default this feature is
disabled. Check that you've enabled it in your application.

Then there are these keep-alive stuffs. If you have SIP registration, then
of course we would need to periodically re-register, and apart from that,
there is also keep-alive packets that are sent to keep the connection open.
Default is every 15 seconds for UDP (pjsua_acc_config.ka_interval) and 90
seconds for TCP/TLS (PJSIP_TCP_KEEP_ALIVE_INTERVAL and
PJSIP_TLS_KEEP_ALIVE_INTERVAL).

If you use STUN/ICE, then the media sockets will also send keep alive
packets, approximately every 15 seconds too (PJ_STUN_KEEP_ALIVE_SEC,
PJ_TURN_KEEP_ALIVE_SEC, and PJ_ICE_ST_KEEP_ALIVE_MIN settings).

All these keep alive packets takes up battery power, but it's just something
that we need to do. You can disable them if you want (but at your own risk
of course).

And then of course the power spent to maintain the access point connection
too.

It would be great if you come back with new data after you optimize your
application based on above.

cheers
 Benny