Building for both i386 and ppc on Intel Mac

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Ruud Klaver <ruud at ag-projects.com> wrote:

> I've included a patch that, in the case of OS-X, ignores this value set by
> configure and replaces it by the value gcc provides (__BIG_ENDIAN__). When
> setting the "-arch ppc -arch i386" flags, it will automatically set the
> right endianness for the architecture it is compiling for. It would have
> been cleaner to use the universal-binary option that the endianness
> detection in autoconf actually provides, but I couldn't figure out how to
> use it.
>
> I've tested this by compiling on i368 and copying the result to ppc. My
> client works now, including registration and functioning audio. I haven't
> actually tested the pjsua binary. When running the pjlib-util test binary,
> it seems that the crc32 implementation is not working, but as far as I can
> see this isn't actually used by any of the upper layers of the PJSIP stack.
> For some reason it doesn't like the table-based implementation, if I set
> PJ_CRC32_HAS_TABLES to 0 it does work. I expected SRTP to also not work,
> since parts of this also seem to be table-based, but I had no problems using
> this on my test machine.

Thanks for the patch Ruud. The crc32 is used only by STUN related things I
think (so this includes TURN and ICE), and there are two sets of tables for
each endianness. I assume the table based crc32 implementation works fine
when the library is built natively? If it doesn't then probably the table is
wrong, but if it does then I don't know why.

Unfortunately I no longer have big endian machines here to test. A friend
borrowed my ppc Mac and haven't return it (I should have known better!), and
another is frozen, literally:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30279808&l=75ec5&id=1267406476 :)

cheers
 Benny